Graduate Research Assistant
Cintia is a master’s candidate in International Development Studies at Saint Mary’s University, who was awarded the Robin Rigby Trust grant for her field research conducted at Vila dos Pescadores mangrove community in Brazil (2014 and 2015).
Cintia completed her bachelor of Science in Agronomy at the Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brazil. Her research interests are on community and fishers’ wellbeing.
Cintia’s international development studies fieldwork experience in Brazil helped her to gain knowledge about fishing communities’ culture, power imbalances and politics. In 2014 and 2015, at the Vila dos Pescadores community, funded by the Robin Rigby Trust, Cintia implemented small development projects such as gardening, and improving the community centre and fishers’ boats. Cintia has a strong interdisciplinary background in aquaculture, oceanography, microbiology and international development. Through her interdisciplinary approach Cintia has learned how to adapt and change the management of new situations.
Publications and Presentations
- “Class Differences and Racism – Social, Ethnic and Economic Inequalities Leading to Poverty:A Case Study of Mixed-race Northeastern Migrant Populations Living in the City of Cubatão, São Paulo State, Southeast Brazil.” The Lusophone World in Progression: Historical Legacy, Transnationalism & Development in Globalized Contexts, Halifax, June 28 – July 1, 2015.
- “Impact of Environmental Degradation on Fishers’ Livelihoods – the Case of a Brazilian Mangrove Community Located in an Industrial Area, Vila dos Pescadores.” Crossing Horizons, 2nd Community Conservation Research Network Meeting, Tofino, BC, June 1 – 5, 2015.
- “Community Co-Management in a Migrant Mangrove Community – A Viable Option in an Unequal Society? A Case Study of Vila dos Pescadores, City of Cubatão, São Paulo State,Brazil.” Empowerment Student Conference, Saint Mary’s University, Centre for the Interdisciplinary Study of Culture (CISC), Halifax, February 6, 2015.
- Nascimento, Cintia, Ferreira, Jaime Fernando, and Aimê Rachel Magalhães. “Environmental Parameters in Different Mussel Culture Densities.” Journal of Medical and Applied Malacology 8.1 (1996): 158. Print.
- Curriculum Development Investigation on Environmental Sustainability, Innovation and Entrepreneurship